FAQ: Private Child Psychiatry Assessment and Treatment

Here are a few of the frequently asked questions and their answers in regards to seeking private child and adolescent psychiatry consultations in the independent health sector. The responses below indicate what you could expect from the services offered by Dr Joglekar. 

Can a parent self refer? 

Yes, this is perfectly possible unlike the NHS. However if you are medically insured and hope that the insurance pays for the assessment and treatment, please ask your insurer as often they expect a GP referral without which they will not process your claim. 

If we have medical insurance, would we have to pay any fees? 

Usually not. Make sure the insurance provider gives you a pre-authorisation letter and code confirming you can proceed to consult me. I need this information to be able to process the claim on your behalf. Ask if you owe them an excess. If they do not accept to pay my full fees, you will have to pay the shortfall. 

Is there a waiting list / how soon would we be given an appointment?  

The turnover time usually is 2 weeks from the time I accept a referral, possibly shorter unless I am away. 

Can we continue to with our psychologist / family therapist while seeing you? 

Yes, as a psychiatrist I would focus on diagnosis and treatment with medication as appropriate and providing you an expert opinion. Often I would recommend psychological treatments which you can choose to avail of from a colleague I suggest or one you access of your own accord. I do offer psychological treatments as well, but in instances where a referral is received from a psychologist, family therapist, etc I will expect that they would continue to provide care to you as appropriate. 

Can your provide a private prescription?  

Yes. A private prescription can be provided for most medications. This is difficult at times with ADHD medication as the drugs tends to be scheduled products and have to be prescribed on special prescriptions called FP10. I may run out of these special forms a times. Irrespective of this, whether the medication is scheduled or not, a private prescription costs money i.e. £7.40 (which is not applicable to those under 16 (or up to age 18 in full time education) plus the actual cost of the medication it self. 

Would you liaise with other professionals / schools? 

This may be required as part of the assessment or at times during treatment stages to monitor progress, get feedback from other professionals or coordinate different aspects of care e.g I would speak with a psychologist who may offer CBT whilst deciding on whether or not an increase in medication dose or change of medication was needed. 

Do you prescribe off licence medication under age of 18? 

Almost always we attempt to stick with the licensed medications under age of 18 when considering first line of treatment. If this fails or in specific situations when it can be justified, we would consider use of off label / licence medication. You will be advised of this, given printed information, time to think and make an informed choice. 

Can care be transferred or simultaneously arranged with NHS?

Yes, please see the guidelines in regards to this that govern this practice. 

If you have questions not covered above, please feel free to drop a line, visit the contact and enquiry page to do so.